Thursday, April 23, 2009

What is the value of PI

Have you felt embarrased that you do not even know your sister's phone number unless you have your cell phone with you? Have you had details remembering project details in a meeting with your manager? Do you want to enthrall your friends by telling them the number of PI upto some N number of decimals? Do you sigh, when someone gets recognised for super duper memory? Well, there is a good news for you, remembering things strongly is not a superman's deed. Anybody can do it. With some little practice and dedication of course. But hey the rewarding consequences overweight the hardwork needed. Retaining the important things in our life is most essential factor in leading a peaceful life. You can easily remember you wife's birthday, your tax benefits, and any other complicated things, which you normally tend to forget. You can convey your wishes on your manager's son's birthday, and earn a few brownie points in ur work place. you can keep important phone numbers in your finger tip in case you need them in emergency and your cell is out of battery power. I have always some problem with remembering hard or complex things. The way I remember things are like studying one day before exam. When I started preparing for my GRE exam, this drawback pulled me even more backwards. So I decided to roll up my sleeves, take a drink of water, and challenge it with audacity. But what techniques do I follow to improve my memory retainment skills. I read a lot of related books and articles and here is what they all say. Repetition, repetition, repetition. Memory tends to retain more stuff into long term memory room (sort of like a hard disk), if things are repeatedly added to the short term memory ( like a RAM). I tried this method for a few days, and it worked. I was able to remember details after practice, which I would normally forget. Great, but wait, this is not enough. I spending extra time in the repetition process, which could be spent wisely otherwise. So I need a more enhanced technique in which I would remember things after just one study. It should be strong enough that whenever I try to recollect, I should be able to remember all the items without much sweat. It is at this point of time, that I came across this site. This website gave me all I needed to deal with studying one time, and remembering it for a long time. I specifically like the peg system and substitute system. It worked wonders for me. I am able to remember lists, odd data and what not using a combination of the methods mentioned in the website. I would suggest you too try it and see how it works. This generic method will be of value to people in all aspects of life - students, professors, software engineers, doctors, astronomers, researchers, housewives, and you name it. Hey everyone wants a pat on the back from time to time. Its increases self esteem, and makes life easier.

No comments: